Tuesday, November 6, 2012

The bad mood & the broken umbrella



The morning started off rough. I had eaten something the day before that was not "sitting well" with my stomach and had not slept well the night before. My alarm went off at 7:00 and I started my day. It was pouring rain as I left for my Russian lesson so I grabbed an umbrella and headed out the door. The last thing I felt like doing was going out in the nasty, cold rain and working my brain with this confusing language. Yes, my mood was pretty sour. About halfway there a huge gust of wind caught my umbrella and, as you can probably guess, flipped it out. My morning was definitely not improving! Now I was getting pelted with windblown cold rain. By the time I got to the school, I was wet and miserable. The lady at the desk started saying some stuff that I didn't understand. My teacher came out and told me I needed to put the blue plastic socks over my shoes so as to not track a mess on the clean floors. (I'm going to insert here that I'm thankful I don't have lessons at the house, in spite of yucky days, because culture is just as important as the language.) The lesson began with some confusion, because I have two different teachers. Even though they are at the same school, they don't communicate what they are teaching. My heart was not in the lesson at all and a few minutes into it, my teacher said, "Your mood is very bad, yes?" That hit me like a ton of bricks. Yes, my mood was awful! Shame on me for being such a bad testimony! I quickly said I was sorry, and silently asked the Lord for help to improve my disposition. I stopped worrying about my wet, now completly frizzy hair. I stopped thinking that everyone else in the family was dry and comfortable at home. Basically, I made the choice that my pity party needed to end! By the end of the lesson things had indeed improved. My teacher told me that was the best lesson we had so far and I was really improving! My broken umbrella and I made our way home in the cold, driving rain, but the walk home wasn't nearly as miserable as the walk there had been. It's all in the perspective, yes? 

3 comments:

  1. Awww, bad days are no fun. =( I am really enjoying reading all your posts, though! And yes, you are right, sometimes perspective is everything!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You hang in there, sweet Michelle! The devil wants to get you down and discouraged, but you keep up the great work. You are learning a language to witness to a people that the devil wants to prevent you from witnessing to you. Sometimes it can be very discouraging, especially with long wintery days that never seem to end... BUT... you are doing the right thing and you are my hero! :-) Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is nothing like being cold, wet and miserable to test your patience! :>)

    ReplyDelete