Saturday, June 2, 2012

Pavlova

This wonderful dessert is not actually Russian, but originated in New Zealand from what I have found on the internet. It is believed to be named after a Russian though. Her name was Anna Pavlova, and she was a ballet dancer in the late 1800s and early 1900s. If you are interested in a bit of history, her story can be found here.




Pavlova has a crunchy outside with a marshmellowy (I know...probably not a word) inside, and is topped with whipped cream. Then it can be topped with a variety of things. Different types of berries, kiwi, banana or whatever you think might taste good. I used strawberries drizzled with chocolate. YUM!

So here we go! Here are the ingredients for the crust:
6 egg whites, room temperature
 1.5 cups white sugar
 2 tsp corn starch
 1.5 tsp lemon juice
 1.5 tsp vanilla extract

Other ingredients:
Whipped Cream
Fruit of your choice
Chocolate (optional)

Preheat the Oven to 225 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.

  Beat 6 egg whites and 1.5 cups sugar for 6.5 to 7.5 minutes on high speed, or until stiff peaks form. The mixture will be smooth and glossy. Use a spatula to blend in 1.5 tsp lemon juice, 1.5 tsp vanilla extract and 2 tsp corn starch. Blend well. You can either make one Pavlova or make several for individual servings. If you make one large Pavlova, I recommend baking it in the dish you will serve it in. This is a fragile dessert and moving a large one is very difficult. I know this from personal experience because mine fell apart horribly when I transported my large one. If you do not want to serve it in the same dish that you bake it in, the best way would be to make individual servings. No matter how you feel will work best for you, it is important to use parchment paper underneath. Bake at 225 degrees F for about an hour until the outside is dry, crispy, and very pale cream colored. I recommend just turning your oven off and leaving it in there to cool. When I removed mine from the oven warm, it cracked badly. I read that it is the change of cool air that causes this. After it is cooled down, top it with whipped cream and your favorite fruit! This is delicious! Though it takes a while to prepare, it is relatively easy. I hope you will try it and let me know what you think! Happy baking! = )
 


No comments:

Post a Comment