Thursday, June 28, 2012

This wasn't my plan

When loved ones or even ourselves are suffering from illness, it is hard to not question and wonder why it must be. We know the importance of trusting our very capable, all-knowing Saviour. We know He has a perfect plan for each us. Sometimes though that perfect plan is completely different than we ever imagined.

A week after the surgeon told my dad he saw no cancer and everything was fine, the final pathology reports came back...and life changed forever for my parents. They came back positive for cancer and Dad headed back to Springfield, MO for surgery round two. They had to remove his eye, pallet of his mouth, upper gums and teeth, along with some bone. The next several months will be full of adjustments. They are working on getting him a prosthesis for his mouth, cheek and eye. Chemo, speech therepy, prosthesis fittings, adjustment to sight with only one eye...these are only the major overall things that lay ahead. Not to mention eating, driving, reading, preaching, etc...these things that are so second nature have completely changed for my dad.

Though it is difficult to understand every word, I have enjoyed the few minutes I've been able to talk with my dad. I'm so thankful that we can still talk to each other! It has helped me so much! Though his words sound different, his voice is the same. He's still my daddy and he's doing ok! His positive attitude toward everything has been a great encouragment for me. The other day he said something along the lines of, "Everyone was praying for me to be healed and keep my eye. It's not that God didn't answer our prayers. God's plan was that I lose my eye all along. Now we need to seek for God to be glorifed through this." Through my tears I found comfort in my precious Lord. I was reminded of 2 Corinthians 12:8-10. "For this thing I besought the Lord thrice, that it might depart from me. And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me. Therefore I take pleasure in infirmites, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Chirst's sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong."

I heard a song at a church once entitled "Blessings". Here are some of the words.
We pray for blessings
We pray for peace
Comfort for family, protection while we sleep
We pray for healing, for prosperity
We pray for Your mighty hand to ease our suffering
All the while, You hear each spoken need
Yet love is way too much to give us lesser things

'Cause what if your blessings come through raindrops
What if Your healing comes through tears
What if a thousand sleepless nights are what it takes to know You're near
What if trials of this life are Your mercies in disguise
Thank you to all who have been and are continuing to pray for our family. We serve a loving, understanding God! We will continue to faithfully serve the Lord, daily trusting Him for His grace and strength!

1 comment:

  1. Brother Reasoner shared your father's plight with us last night at church. Know that Corridor Baptist is praying for you father and your family.

    (LOVE THAT SONG, btw)

    Michelle Ackerman

    ReplyDelete